Zoom F4 Multitrack Field Recorder
- Featured Item!
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
- Product Highlights
- Integrated Mixer
- Compatible with Optional Zoom Mics
- Resolution: 24-Bit/192 kHz
- Four Combo XLR-1/4" Inputs
- High-Quality Preamps with Phantom Power
- Built-In Limiters on Every Input/Output
- Easy-to-Read LCD Display
- Temperature-Controlled Crystal Oscillator
- Temperature-Compensated Crystal Oscillator
- Includes Cubase LE & Wavelab LE
MultiTrack Field Recorder for Filmmaking and Sound Design
Professional Field Recording Has Never Been So Accessible.
Creators are making more waves in film than ever before. Thanks to affordable technology and distribution channels like YouTube, we're ushering in a new era of creativity...and it's only just begun.
The Zoom F4 propels your film's sound to a whole new level. With 6-input/8-track recording, super-low-noise mic preamps, and time code with pinpoint accuracy, the F4 offers Hollywood sound at an indie budget.
We didn't change the industry.
By putting high-quality sound front and center, you've changed how audiences experience film. That's why we created the Zoom F4. So professional quality sound is always within reach.
Super-low-noise microphone preamps
The F4 is equipped with our highest-quality mic preamps. Like the F8, the F4's mic preamps enable pristine recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz. Its impressive audio specs include an extremely low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB), with +4 dB line-level inputs.
TCXO Time Code
For precise audio/video syncing, the F4 utilizes a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) that generates time code at 0.2 ppm accuracy-a first for this price point. The F4 supports all standard drop frame and non-drop formats, and can jam sync to time code provided by external devices. Standard BNC connectors enable easy integration into any rig.
Advanced onboard limiters
Advanced onboard limiters provide overload protection which lets you capture audio in a wide range of dynamic sound environments. Limiting can be applied to all four channels simultaneously at full resolution, with 10 dB of headroom and controls for setting threshold, attack, and release.
Rock-solid build and lightweight design
A compact metal chassis makes the F4 both rugged and durable, and keeps its weight down to just 2.27 pounds without batteries.
Add Two Additional Mic/Line Inputs
The F4 is outfitted with a 10-pin Zoom mic capsule input to expand your recording capabilities even further. Connecting the optional EXH-6 XLR/TRS Combo Input Capsule adds two extra mic/line inputs to your F4, giving you a total of six discrete XLR/TRS combo inputs.
Zoom Interchangeable Mic Capsules
Use the proprietary Zoom capsule input to connect any of the available Zoom mic capsules-such as the SGH-6 Shotgun Mic Capsule or the XYH-6 Stereo X/Y Mic Capsule-to add an on-board microphone to your F4. The optional ECM extension cable allows for remote positioning of all capsules.
The Best Connections
The F4 features four discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors. Each input provides a dedicated preamp with gain control knob, phantom power, a six-segment LED level meter, and a Record Ready and PFL switch. The 1/8" stereo input or the Zoom mic capsule input can provide input for tracks 5 and 6. The F4 also includes a variable-frequency slate tone generator to confirm levels.
In addition to the 1/4" headphone jack with dedicated volume control, the F4 provides four other outputs. Two Main Outs (on balanced XLR jacks) let you connect to external mixers and processing devices. Two Sub Outs (on a single unbalanced 1/8" stereo mini-jack) enable easy connection to a camera. The front panel OUTPUT button allows easy access to output levels and routing.
Time code and USB connections
Time code I/O is provided on BNC connectors. The USB port facilitates firmware updates and file transfer. It also allows the F4 to be used as a 6-in/4-out USB audio interface with sample rates up to 96 kHz.
An LCD For All Lighting Conditions
An easy-to-read 1.9-inch white backlit monochromatic LCD display makes the F4 suitable for all lighting environments- from low light to direct sunlight. It also performs well in harsh conditions, like dusty and hard-to-see environments.
Monitor Your Recordings
Flexible options help you easily monitor recordings in the field. Route any input, as well as the stereo track (pre- or post-fader), to the left or right headphone channels. A built-in 100 mW headphone amplifier provides plenty of volume for noisy environments. You can even set headphone alert tones for low battery, recording start/stop, or recording errors.
Onboard Mixer And Effects
An onboard mixer allows for flexible signal routing from all inputs to all outputs (pre- or post-fader) with user-adjustable level, pan, and input/output delay. Built-in limiters can be applied to all channels and tracks simultaneously. The F4 also includes built-in high-pass filtering to reduce the sound of wind and other noise, plus phase inversion and Mid-Side decoding.
The Nitty Gritty
The F4 records in BWF-compatible WAV format at 16-bit or 24-bit resolution, and at any standard sample rate up to 192 kHz. When recording MP3 files, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320 kbps.
Easy to Navigate Menus and Metadata
Thanks to simple menu navigation, cataloging with the F4 is easy and straightforward. The F4 features a simple file structure and allows you to enter extensive metadata (both BWF and iXML) directly onto the device.
Includes Recording and Editing Software
The F4 comes with free download licenses for Steinberg's Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, representing a complete audio production toolkit.
Currently shipping with:
Cubase LE8 for Mac OS X 10.9/10.10/10.11 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
WaveLab LE9 for Mac OS X 10.10/10.11 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
For information on license activation and upgrades, visit our Steinberg Software support page.
Your Time is Now
Creators are redefining what's possible in film. Let the F4 elevate your creations with professional quality audio that brings your filmmaking efforts full circle.
- 6-input/8-track multitrack field recorder with integrated mixer
- 6 discrete inputs, including with 4 locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors, a stereo 3.5mm input, and Zoom mic capsule input
- Input 5/6 can be used as a camera return for monitoring only.
- Compact and lightweight metal chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
- High-quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and +4 dB line inputs
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate time code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; drop frame/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
- Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with 4-pin HIROSE connector, and Zoom AD-19 12V AC Adapter with DHC-1 DC-HIROSE cable (included)
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
- Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every preamp
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
- Compatible with all Zoom mic capsules; optional ECM extender cable enables remote positioning
- Dedicated headphone output (100 mW) with front panel volume control
- Dual XLR balanced Main Outs plus 1/8" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Front panel OPTION button gives quick access to important shortcuts
- 1.9" white, backlit monochrome LCD
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
- Use as a 6-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- The F4 can also be mounted to a tripod and attached to your camera using the included mounting bracket.
- *The F4 is does not have Bluetooth capabilities and is not compatible with the Zoom F8 iOS app.
- RECORDING MEDIA
- Dual SD card slot supports:
16 MB-2 GB SD cards
4 GB-32 GB SDHC cards
64 GB-512 GB SDXC cards
- INPUTS 1-4
- Connectors: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- INPUTS: XLR (MIC)
- Input gain: +10 - +75 dB
- Input impedance: 3.0 kΩ or more
- Maximum input level: +14 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)
- Phantom power: +24/+48V 10mA maximum for each channel
- INPUTS: TRS (LINE)
- Input gain: -10 - +55 dB
- Input impedance: 22 kΩ or more
- Maximum input level: +24 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)
- INPUTS: ADDITIONAL INFO
- Equivalent input noise: -127 dBu or less (A-weighted, +75 dB input gain, 150Ω input)
- Frequency characteristics: 10 Hz - 80 kHz +0.5 dB/-1.5 dB (192 kHz sampling rate)
- A/D dynamic range: 120 dB typ (-60 dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Crosstalk: -90 dB or less (between adjacent channels, 1 kHz)
- MIC IN: ZOOM mic capsule input (use disables Inputs 5/6)
- RTN IN
- Connectors: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output jack
- Reference input level: -10 dBV (Level: -10 dBV setting),
- +4 dBu (Level: +4 dBu setting)
- Input impedance: 10k Ω or more
- Maximum input level: -10 dBV (Level: -10 dBV setting)
- +24 dBu (Level: +4 dBu setting)
- OUTPUTS: MAIN OUT 1/2
- Connectors: XLR balanced output (2: hot)
- Output impedance: 150 Ω or less
- Reference output level: -10 dBV, 1 kHz, 600Ω load
- Maximum output level: +10 dBV, 1 kHz, 600Ω load
- OUTPUTS: SUB OUT 1/2
- Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output jack
- Output impedance: 1k Ω or less
- Reference output level:
-10 dBV (Normal Output Type),
-40 dBV (Mic Output Type), 1 kHz, 10kΩ load
- Maximum output level:
+10 dBV (Normal Output Type),
-20 dBV (Mic Output Type), 1 kHz, 10kΩ load
- Connector: 1/4" unbalanced stereo output jack
- Output impedance: 15 Ω or less
- Maximum output level: 100 mW + 100 mW
- (32Ω load)
- D/A dynamic range: 106 dB typical (-60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- RECORDING FORMATS: WHEN MP3 SELECTED
- Supported formats: 128/192/320 kbps, 44.1/48 kHz, ID3v1 tags
- Maximum simultaneous recording tracks: 2
- RECORDING TIME
- Using a 32 GB card: 30: 51: 00 (48 kHz/24-bit stereo WAV)
- 7: 42: 00 (192 kHz/24-bit stereo WAV)
- TIME CODE
- Connector: BNC
- Modes: Off, Int Free Run, Int Record Run, Int RTC Run, Ext, Ext Auto Rec (audio clock can be synchronized to timecode)
- Frame rates: 23.976ND, 24ND, 25ND, 29.97ND, 29.97D, 30ND, 30D
- Precision: ±0.2 ppm
- Supported input levels: 0.2 - 5.0 Vpp
- Input impedance: 4.3k Ω or more
- Output level: 3.0 Vpp ±10%
- Output impedance: 50 Ω or less
- POWER SUPPLIES
- Batteries: 8 AA
- AC adapter: Zoom AD-19 DC12 V 2A (center plus) via DC-HIROSE cable adapter (both included)
- External DC power supply: HIROSE HR10A-7R-4S 4-pin connector (1 pin: -, 4 pin: +), 9-16 V
- CONTINUOUS RECORDING TIME: WHEN RECORDING 2 CHANNELS AT 48 KHZ/16-BIT WITHOUT HEADPHONES
- Alkaline batteries: 9.5 hours or more
- NiMH (2450mAh): 11.5 hours or more
- Lithium batteries: 17.5 hours or more
- CONTINUOUS RECORDING TIME: WHEN RECORDING 8 CHANNELS AT 48 KHZ/24-BIT WITH HEADPHONES
- Alkaline batteries: 9 hours or more
- NiMH (2450mAh): 10.5 hours or more
- Lithium batteries: 16.5 hours or more
- CONTINUOUS RECORDING TIME: WHEN RECORDING 8 CHANNELS AT 192 KHZ/24-BIT WITH HEADPHONES, PHANTOM POWER, AND DISPLAY BACKLIGHTING
- Alkaline batteries: 2 hours or more
- NiMH (2450mAh): 3.5 hours or more
- Lithium batteries: 6 hours or more
- 1.9" monochrome LCD with white backlight
- USB: MASS STORAGE OPERATION
- Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
- USB: MULTITRACK AUDIO INTERFACE OPERATION (DRIVER REQUIRED FOR WINDOWS, NOT REQUIRED FOR MAC)
- Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
- Specifications: 44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24-bit, 6-in/4-out
- USB: STEREO MIX AUDIO INTERFACE OPERATION (NO DRIVER REQUIRED)
- Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
- Specifications: 44.1/48 kHz, 16-bit, 2-in/2-out
Note: iPad audio interface operation supported (Stereo Mix mode only)
- EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS
- Main unit: 7.0 in. (W) × 5.5 in. (D) × 2.1 in. (H)
177.8 mm (W) × 141.1 mm (D) × 54.3 mm (H)
- Main unit only: 2.27 pounds (1030 g)
- Camera mount adapter
- Zoom AD-19 12V AC Adapter
- DHC-1 DC-HIROSE cable
- Cubase LE and WaveLab LE download codes
- Operation manual