PA SKU # SPL DEES MFR # SPLDEES UPC # 4260149320698
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
Order Now! We'll Ship It Fast! This item is currently out of stock. Most out of stock orders ship within just a few days (excluding weekends and holidays). We'll keep you up to date the whole way.
- Product Highlights
- Phase Cancellation Removes S-Sounds
- Preserves Natural Sound
- Neighbouring Frequencies Not Affected
- Automatic Sibilant Detection
- Automatic Threshold Adjustment
- Male/Female Vocal Detection
- Ease & speed of Use
- Made in Germany
The SPL De-Esser is a specialized audio tool for removing undesired sibilant frequencies in a very simple and musical way without compromising the timbre and natural character of a voice.
2-Channel Sibilance-Removal Unit
SPL has developed a new circuit design that combines ease of use with natural sound characteristics and the highest level of technical performance. The SPL De-Esser monitors the S-frequency spectrum and automatically detects the sibilant frequencies. The de-ess bandwidth is set so narrowly around the range of the sibilance that neighbouring frequencies remain unaffected. Input processed via this frequency band is mixed back into the main signal phase-inverted so that only the S-sounds are cancelled where the S-reduction controller determines the intensity of the phase-cancelled mix.
The result is a neutral, unobtrusive and extremely effective de-essing process. Even at high S-reduction values the de-essing has a negligible effect on the character and timbre of the voice.
Rounding out the amazingly simple control system is an automatic threshold-adjusting function. Differences in the input level caused by the varying distance to the mic, are compensated for automatically. This ensures even de-essing independent of signal level so any necessary compression may be applied post the de-esser.
Traditional de-essers use compression techniques. In addition to the threshold parameter used to set the processing level, there is a frequency controller for setting the center frequency of the process (with bandwidths generally up to 4 kHz). Processing therefore compresses the entire selected range, notjust the sibilant or S sounds. This results in the familiar and undesired side-effects such as lisping and a nasal-sounding vocal.
SPL's Auto Dynamic De-Esser monitors the entire frequency spectrum and automatically detects the sibilant frequencies. The bandwidth is set so narrowly around the range of the sibilance that neighboring frequencies remain unaffected. This frequency band is mixed back into the main signal phase-inverted to cancel out the sibilance. The result is a sound-neutral, inconspicuous and extremely effective process. Even at high s-reduction values the de-essing has an egligible effect on the character and timbre of the voice.Auto-Threshold
Rounding our this outstanding concept is an automaticthreshold-adjusting function: Differences in the input levelcaused by the singer moving in relation to the microphone are automatically compensated, so that the selected reduction value remains constant. In traditional de-essers, the processing intensity drops off with increasing distance, and compressors placed after the de-esser for signal correction tend to respond incorrectly to the changed values.Male/Female
The SPL system doesn't just look for sibilance in a wide 'general sibilance' region of the spectrum. Instead, the user simply sets a front-panel switch to Male or Female to adjust for the vocal characteristics of male or female voices.Features
Balanced XLR and jack plugs for the in- and outputs, internal power supply with toroidal transformer, GND lift switch, relay hard bypass/power fail safety, voltage selector switch.
- S-sounds removed by phase cancellation
- Preserves natural sound characteristics
- Neighbouring frequencies remain unaffected
- Automatic detection of sibilant frequencies
- Automatic threshold adjustment compensates for poor mic technique
- Male/Female vocal detection
- Ease and speed of use
- Made in Germany
- Inputs and outputs
- Instrumentation amplifier, electronically balanced (differential), transformerless
- Nominal input level +6 dB
- Input impedance =22 kOhm
- Output impedance < 600 Ohm
- Max. input level +24 dBu
- Max. output level +22.4 dBu
- Minimum load 600 Ohm
- Relay hard bypass / power fail safety
- Frequency response 20 Hz-50 kHz (50kHz= -3dB)
- Common mode rejection > -80 dBu @1kHz
- Total harmonic distortion 0.002% @ 1 kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio -93 dBu (CCIR 468-3)
- Signal-to-noise ratio -98 dBu (A-weighted)
- Power supply
- Toroidal transformer 15 VA
- Fuses 315 mA (230V) /630 mA (115V)
- GND lift switch
- Voltage selection switch 115 V / 230V
- Dimensions & Weight
- WxHxD: 482 x 44 x 237mm; 19" x 1.73" x 9.33"
- Weight: 3.4kg; 7.5lbs
- 0dBu = 0.775V. Subject to change without notice.
Write Your Own Review
More from SPL