SoundTools XLR Sniffer/Sender Kit
PA SKU # STS XLRSNIFFERSENDER MFR # XLR SNIFFER/SENDER KIT UPC # 793936929483
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
Only 3 Left! — In Stock & Ready to Ship Order now! Limited quantity in stock! Most orders placed before 3pm MST ship same day (except weekends and holidays).
- Remote End XLR Cable Tester
Remote End XLR Cable TesterThe Rat Sniffer and Senders are "On the fly", highly reliable, testers with remote ends used in the field to quickly determine faulty XLR cables and for testing phantom power at various stages and locations. They can also be used to quickly test phantom power on snakes.
Please note: the Rat Sniffer and Sender units are not intended to replace a multi-meter during your repair phase. These are designed as a fast way to test for faulty XLR cables and phantom power in the field.
The Rat Sniffer is a single ended XLR male cable tester that utilizes phantom power or the Rat Sender as a test source.
The Rat Sender is a battery powered XLR female tester that send the proper voltages to test all possible XLR line faults. Color coded LED's for easy use and trouble shooting.
RAT SNIFFER & SENDER INFO
Designed by Rat Sound to deal with the "real world" of pro audio, the Rat Sniffer cable tester is a amazingly simple and reliable tester with many unique features. Testing snake lines and cables with the ends located at a distance from each other is now simple and easy and you can do it without running extra cables just to test. The ability to test snake lines using phantom power as a test source allows you to troubleshoot an entire snake system in minutes. The barrel design is extremely reliable and eliminates the problem many testers have of internal solder joints failing. The simple 3 LED readout indicates every possible short, open or cross wire in XLR cables. If the tester reads "green" the cable will work!
A key feature of the "patent pending" design is its ability to detect a short between pin 2 and 3 while utilizing phantom power as the test source along with the ability to test for every other possible fault that would cause the mic to lose signal. This means that when experiencing a "bad line", troubleshooting complexity and time can be greatly reduced by using phantom power and the sniffer. Many people are familiar with dealing with a bad line during line check or set change "hey the house engineer says line 7 is down, try another mic, check one two, radio the engineer and ask if it works, nope still bad, try swapping the mic cable, radio the engineer and see if it works and so on and so on. The Rat Sniffer gives the stage tech the ability to trouble shoot without feedback from the console operator. Instantly know whether it is the mic or the line. Have the engineer supply console phantom power to the bad line. Plug in the sniffer where the mic was, "green lights" means the mic is bad, any other combination means it is the cabling. Plug the sniffer into the stage box, "green lights" means the snake line is good, mic cable is bad. What normally would take 10, 15 precious minutes or more can be accomplished in a minute or so. The Rat Sniffer is a simple, inexpensive, reliable, compact tool that can save valuable time with accurate results.
- Simple and Quick to Us
- Compact, Pocket Sized, to Carry Always
- Three, 2-Color LEDs to Display Faults
- Cable Ends Can Be in Different Locations
- Sniffer Alone Checks Cable when Phantom Power Present
- Sender for Checking Cables Without Phantom Power
- NEW IMPROVEMENTS:
- New Sniffer and Sender are smaller circumference
- Looser XLR tolerance avoids super tight fits
- High-quality laser etching
- New Sniffer LED's now labeled with "A", "B", "C" for easier result code identification
- New Sender unit now shorter than original version
- New Sender unit now has a green, illuminated power button at the rear instead of a switch on the side like original
- 100% assembled and etched in the USA
- Receive Unit - "Sniffer"
- Test Mic lines using standard phantom power
- Checks mic line for phantom power
- The simplest way to trouble shoot snake systems and long installed cables
- Checks all potential faults and wiring problems in XLR lines
- Can be used with or without the Send Unit
- When used with any standard Phantom Power source, the Rat Sniffer indicates faults with the following indications
- Phantom present and all wiring is correct (green, green, green))
- Pin 1 to 2 short (off, off, green)
- Pin 1 to 3 short (green, green, off)
- Pin 2 to 3 short (off, green, green)
- Pin 1 & 2 reversed (red, red, green)
- Pin 1 & 3 reversed (green, green, red)
- Pin 1 no connection (off, off, off)
- Pin 2 no connection (off, off, green)
- Pin 3 no connection (green, green, off)
- Pin 2 & 3 reversed (green, green, green) Send unit required to detect fault.
- Additionally when used with the "Send Unit" the Sniffer will indicate all of the above plus
- Pin 2 & 3 reversed (off, green, green)
- 3/4" diameter X 3" in length
- The Send Unit - "Sender"
- Powered by a 12 volt "car alarm" battery - included!
- Extremely long battery life. Months to years on a single battery!
- On/Off switch allows storing the Send and Receive units plugged into each other.
- No battery drain if unit is left on while not plugged in.
- Will not harm microphones or electronics if in inadvertently plugged into a cable with a Mic or console attached to the other end.
Write Your Own Review