Midas M32 LIVE 40-Input Digital Mixing Console
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
- Product Highlights
- Klark Teknik DN32-LIVE
- Your "Mind-to-Sound" Interface
- 7" Main Display
- Sends On Fader
- DCA Groups
- View Function
- Assign Section
- "Acoustic Integration"
- 100-Band RTA for all Channel/Bus EQs
- 16 Breathtaking FX "Plug-Ins"
- Gain Splitting and Remote Control for FOH and Monitoring
- More Routing and Processing Flexibility
- LCD Scribble Strips
Digital Console for Live and Studio with 40 Input Channels, 32 Midas PRO Microphone Preamplifiers and 25 Mix Buses and Live Multitrack Recording
Designing A Future Classic
Our goal for M32 LIVE was to combine the best of classic British console designs with advanced modern technology to completely redefine what a medium-format live console can offer.
We began the industrial design process by drawing inspiration from a somewhat unexpected source - the luxury and high-performance car industry.
Why High-Performance Cars?
Simply because the design teams at Aston Martin*, Bentley*, Rolls Royce*, and other leading manufacturers are skilled at introducing innovative technological advancements while simultaneously maintaining the feel, essence, and intangible qualities of their cherished brands. And in essence, that's the challenge we too faced when creating the M32 LIVE console.
So in order to create a future-forward design that took the Midas legacy even further, we enlisted the help of Rajesh Kutty, a leading industrial designer known for his work with celebrated luxury auto manufacturers such as Bentley, etc.
Kutty started by examining the design elements that have made Midas consoles so highly sought after - from the straightforward, logical layout to the unparalleled usability and ergonomics. These are characteristics that live sound engineers around the world have come to rely on, and are key aspects of the Midas legacy.
With these design elements in mind, Kutty set forth to create a styling that would be modern, innovative, futuristic, and stunningly elegant.
Many different construction materials were tested. Countless design variations were explored. And in the end, a styling was chosen that represented the perfect marriage between aerodynamic artistry and uncompromising performance. The design is both ultramodern and distinctly classic at the same time.
The Landmark in Console History
A close look at M32 LIVE reveals that the styling is completely new in every sense of the word. Rajesh Kutty's automotive-inspired design elements mesh perfectly with a recognisable Midas signature, setting the M32 LIVE apart from any other console. Its beautifully streamlined and elegant form factor completely revolutionises the experience of live mixing.
The Midas M32 LIVE construction is equally impressive, and is designed to offer you years of reliable performance while withstanding the demanding environment of live performance venues. M32 LIVE employs a predominantly space-frame construction, with parts of the sub-frame consisting of durable and lightweight carbon fibre and aluminium. Multiple alloys have been employed throughout to guarantee maximum component efficiency and an improved performance-to-weight ratio.
The M32 LIVE is an innovative, evolved design that brings together modern construction principles and high-tech materials into a styling destined to go down as a landmark in console history.
Midas is the Epitome of Excellence
In 2013, Midas approached me to create a new design language for Midas and with it a new mixing console. Having designed for Bentley, I am intimately familiar with the challenge of transforming a brand while retaining the precious heritage - in this case the 40 year old iconic British mixing console brand Midas.
Representing the pinnacle of its industry, Midas is the Epitome of Excellence. When it comes to ergonomics, performance and style, the aspects of a high-performance luxury car equally apply to a high-end mixing console. I was given a blank sheet of paper for my choice of materials. This meant considering lightweight materials such as carbon fibre and aluminum, while using a sophisticated steel construction, for high-impact structural areas.
High attention was paid to the tactile elements such as fader knobs and the illumination to work under all background conditions.
From the onset the idea was to break the mould! Hence the form study deliberately tried to break away from the static, bulky feel of today's mixing consoles. Instead making it more dynamic, ergonomic, yet luxurious. Colours, size, mobility and hardware were given equal importance to arrive at the M32 LIVE - a true projection of the brand, today.
I am very happy with the outcome of the M32 LIVE, and feel honoured to have my name associated with Midas.
Industry-Leading 192 kHz Precision
The groundbreaking M32 LIVE console combines legendary Midas sound quality with advanced digital technology, future-proof floating point audio engine, extremely low-latency design and industry-leading 192 kHz ADC and DAC converters, creating a revolutionary mid-format live console. M32 LIVE features ultra-sleek styling, offering you a truly luxurious mixing experience. High-end construction materials include carbon fibre provide unparalleled durability and strength, plus substantially lower weight than comparable consoles.
The M32 LIVE utilises award-winning Midas PRO Series microphone preamplifiers and the custom-designed Midas PRO motorised faders that are rated for 1 million life cycles-three times more than other leading consoles.
The Midas M32 LIVE is a future-forward console that completely raises the bar for live mixing.
Legendary Midas Sound Quality
While the Midas M32 LIVE design, styling, and construction will surely turn a lot of heads, it's the sound that matters most to engineers and performing artists. And that's where M32 LIVE shines even brighter - as the latest in a long line of pristine-sounding Midas consoles, it descends from a celebrated lineage that literally set the standard in electrical design and sound quality. Ever since Midas consoles first found fame 40 years ago with acts like Billy Joel, Yes, The Beach Boys, Pink Floyd and others, the Midas legacy has always been about uncompromising quality and the ultimate in sound reproduction.
Backing the analogue input section are audiophile Cirrus Logic multi-channel 192 kHz capable A/D converters, which boast a 114 dB dynamic range, ensuring impressively low distortion and low noise performance.
Built for Tomorrow
The M32 LIVE is a console built for today, and tomorrow - its rock-solid proprietary operating system and the 0.8 ms audio engine provide outstanding state-of-the-art audio performance for years to come.
- Live performance and studio recording digital console with up to 40 simultaneous input channels
- 32 award-winning Midas PRO microphone preamplifiers
- 25 time-aligned and phase-coherent mix buses
- AES50 networking allows up to 96 inputs and 96 outputs
- 32 bi-directional channels of live recording/playback on dual SD/SDHC (cards not included)
- Up to 3 hours of 32 channel PCM recording in one session
- - stored as uncompressed WAV files
- High-performance carbon fibre, aluminium and high-impact steel structure
- 40 bit floating point digital signal processing
- 8 DCA and 6 mute groups
- 8 digital signal processing effects engines
- 25 Midas PRO motor faders
- Daylight viewable 7" full colour TFT display screen
- 32 x 32 channel USB 2.0 audio interface
- DAW remote control emulations of Mackie Control* and HUI* protocols
- Optional wireless remote control with Midas Apps for iPhone* and iPad*
- Auto-ranging universal switch-mode power supply
- 10-Year Warranty Program*
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
- Input Processing Channels: 32 Input Channels, 8 Aux Channels, 8 FX Return Channels
- Output Processing Channels: 16
- 16 aux buses, 6 matrices, main LRC: 100
- Internal Effects Engines (True Stereo / Mono): 16
- Internal Show Automation (structured Cues / Snippets): 500 / 100
- Internal Total Recall Scenes (incl. Preamplifiers and Faders): 100
- Signal Processing: 40-Bit Floating Point
- A/D Conversion: (8-channel, 96 kHz ready) 114 dB Dynamic Range (A-weighted*)
- D/A Conversion: (stereo, 96 kHz ready) 120 dB Dynamic Range (A-weighted*)
- I/O Latency (Console Input to Output): 0.8 ms
- Network Latency (Stage Box In > Console > Stage Box Out): 1.1 ms
- Midas PRO Series Microphone Preamplifier (XLR): 32
- Talkback Microphone Input (XLR): 1
- RCA Inputs / Outputs: 2
- XLR Outputs: 16
- Monitoring Outputs (XLR / ¼" TRS Balanced): 2
- Aux Inputs/Outputs (¼" TRS Balanced): 6
- Phones Output (¼" TRS): 2 (Stereo)
- Digital AES/EBU Output (XLR): 1
- AES50 Ports (Klark Teknik SuperMAC): 2
- Expansion Card Interface: 32 Channel Audio Input / Output
- ULTRANET P-16 Connector (No Power Supplied): 1
- MIDI Inputs / Outputs: 1
- USB Type A (Audio and Data Import / Export): 1
- USB Type B, rear panel, for remote control: 1
- Ethernet, RJ45, rear panel, for remote control: 1
Mic Input Characteristics
- Design: Midas PRO Series
- THD+N (0 dB gain, 0 dBu output): <0.01% (unweighted)
- THD+N (+40 dB gain, 0 dBu to +20 dBu output): <0.03% (unweighted)
- Input Impedance (Unbalanced / Balanced): 10 kΩ / 10 kΩ
- Non-Clip Maximum Input Level: +23 dBu
- Phantom Power (Switchable per Input): +48 V
- Equivalent Input Noise @ +45 dB gain: -125 dB (150 Ω source) (22 Hz-22 kHz, unweighted)
- CMRR @ Unity Gain (Typical): >70 dB
- CMRR @ 40 dB Gain (Typical): >90 dB
- Frequency Response @ 48 kHz Sample Rate: 0 dB to -1 dB (20 Hz-20 kHz)
- Dynamic Range, Analogue In to Analogue Out: 106 dB (22 Hz-22 kHz, unweighted)
- A/D Dynamic Range, Preamplifier and Converter (Typical): 109 dB (22 Hz-22 kHz, unweighted)
- D/A Dynamic Range, Converter and Output (Typical): 109 dB (22 Hz-22 kHz, unweighted)
- Crosstalk Rejection @ 1 kHz, Adjacent Channels: 100 dB
- Output level, XLR Connectors (Nominal / Maximum): +4 dBu / +21 dBu
- Output Impedance, XLR Connectors (Unbalanced / Balanced): 50 Ω / 50 Ω
- Input impedance, TRS Connectors (Unbalanced / Balanced): 20 kΩ / 40 kΩ
- Non-Clip Maximum Input Level, TRS Connectors: +21 dBu
- Output Level, TRS (Nominal / Maximum): +4 dBu / +21 dBu
- Output Impedance, TRS (Unbalanced / Balanced): 50 Ω / 50 Ω
- Phones Output Impedance/Maximum output Level: 40 Ω / +21 dBu (Stereo)
- Residual Noise Level, Out 1-16 XLR Connectors, Unity Gain: -85 dBu 22 Hz-22 kHz unweighted
- Residual Noise Level, Out 1-16 XLR Connectors, Muted: -88 dBu 22 Hz-22 kHz unweighted
- Residual Noise Level, TRS and s Monitor out XLR Connector: -83 dBu 22 Hz-22 kHz unweighted
- Main Screen: 7" TFT LCD, 800 x 480 Resolution, 262k Colors
- Channel LCD Screen: 128 x 64 LCD with RGB Color Backlight
- Main Meter: 24 Segment (-57 dB to Clip)
- Switch-Mode Power Supply: Auto-Ranging 100-240 VAC (50/60 Hz) ± 10%
- Power Consumption: 120 W
- Standard Operating Temperature Range: 5°C - 40°C (41°F - 104°F)
- Dimensions: 891 x 612 x 256 mm (35.1 x 24.1 x 10.1")
- Weight: 25 kg (55 lbs)
- * A-weighted figures are typically ~3 dB better
Virtual Effects Racks
M32 LIVE includes an extensive array of onboard effects, rendering outboard processing racks a thing of the past. The Virtual FX rack features 8 true-stereo, studio-grade effects engines each assignable to any input, group or output mix bus. Choose from high-end FX modules including a range of reverbs, delays, EQs, dynamics and much more.
Each FX algorithm has been completely re-imagined for stunning performance - typically costing several times the price of the M32 LIVE.
Custom-designed, and physically modeled after some of the most iconic and sought-after processors, all effects run inside the low-latency environment of the M32 LIVE mix engine, ensuring flawless performance, flexible routing and the end of cable faults forever!
- The immaculate tube signal path in Teletronix' LA-2A Leveling Amplifier has left its exceptional clarity, its rich and warm compression on countless albums of the past decades. The ultra-smooth optical attenuator is closely modeled in our LA COMPRESSOR. It provides breezing, natural and effortlessly musical compression. (Inspired by Teletronix LA-2A*)
- When Urei released the 1176LN Limiting Amplifier in the late 60's, it broke new ground. Field Effect Transistors employed were just invented and the 1176 was one of the first audio processors to benefit from this new technology. Our digital re-incarnation, ULTIMO COMPRESSOR, is based on the early Rev. E model and authentically captures the smooth character of the original class-A output stage and its FET's legendary fast Attack. (Inspired by Urei 1176LN*)
- The Fairchild 670 tube compressor not only achieves record bids in high-end vintage gear auctions, it also delivers some of the finest colorations in compressor history. Two small trim VR's preset the control side chain action, a six-step switch determines the timing, and the two large Input and Threshold knobs adjust the levels. Our FAIR COMPRESSOR model is true to the original signal path, and conveniently provides models for dual, stereo-linked or M/S operation. (Inspired by Fairchild 670*)
- The COMBINATOR is an amazing 5-band compressor that emulates famous broadcasting and mastering compressors. A highly complex processor, the COMBINATOR utilises automatic parameter control that produces stunning and "inaudible" results. Makeup-gain for each frequency band will automatically be adjusted by the Spectral Balance Control (SBC) function, to maintain a balanced audio spectrum.
- The XTEC EQ1 is undisputedly one of the best passive studio equalisers ever manufactured. Virtually indescribable, recording engineers claim the Pultec EQP-1a to be the "secret sauce" of sound enhancement. We analysed this classic to the core and created an exact physical model that reproduces the multi-faceted sound in painstaking detail. Even the transformers and tube output stage have been faithfully modeled! (Inspired by Pultec EQP-1a*)
- Pultec simply wrote the book on passive equalisation. By digitally "rebuilding" every aspect of the original Pultec classic, we captured the very essence in our parametric equaliser XTEC EQ5. Our digital re-incarnation is based on the original model and authentically emulates the smooth character of the its rather unique components. (Inspired by Pultec MEQ5*)
- The new SUB OCTAVER provides two channels of earth-shattering sub-harmonics generation, one or even two octaves below the input signal. While originally designed for bass players, the effect can be adjusted for Hi, Mid and Low frequency tracking to apply to a wide range of applications. This is your secret weapon for beatboxing...
- The EDISON EX1 is the re-incarnation of our own analogue classics. This remarkably-effective tool allows manipulation of the stereo field. Selectable M/S input/output modes allow the processing or creation of M/S recorded sound sources.
- The SOUND MAXIMIZER restores natural brilliance and clarity to any audio signal by adjusting the phase and amplitude integrity to reveal more of the natural texture of the sound, which is often hidden when using some effects and equalisers. (Inspired by Sonic Maximizer 482i*)
- The DIMENSIONAL CHORUS is the perfect emulation of what has been referred to as "the best analogue Chorus unit ever created". Four simple Mode preset buttons activate amazing effects, best described as "space" and "dimension". Absolutely faithful to the original, multiple preset buttons can be pressed simultaneously. (Inspired by Roland Dimension D Chorus*)
- MODULATION DELAY combines three of the most used time modulation effects into one easy-to-operate unit. Enjoy true-stereo delay with a lush and spacious chorus, topped off with three reverb models to choose from.
- The Lexicon 480L* has been recognised as the gold standard of digital reverb. We have included three of the finest reverb models - Rich Plate, Room and Rich Chamber. The M32 LIVE's models precisely capture all nuances based on our "True Physical Modeling" and our algorithms even incorporate the unit's AD/DA gain-stepping converters - nailing the entire analogue and digital circuit paths right down to the last detail. (Inspired by Lexicon 480L*)
- EXCITERS increase presence and intelligibility in live sound applications and are indispensable for adding clarity, air and harmonic overtones in the recording studio. ENHANCERS let you emphasise the Bass, Midrange and Hi output at selectable frequencies. You can generate maximum punch, clarity and detail, without turning up the overall volume. (Inspired by Aphex Aural Exciter* and SPL Vitalizer*)
- Our TruEQ STEREO GEQ delivers musical and responsive signal processing-perfect for general room equalisation, indispensable for monitoring. M32 LIVE provides up to 16 mono graphic EQs, in addition to the multi-band parametric EQs in all channels and buses, to cope with the most demanding stage monitoring situation. Plus, the M32 LIVE's motorised faders can be switched to control the filter bands of the graphic EQ, with the channel LCDs showing the corresponding filter frequencies-and you can even put this on a user defined hot-key for immediate access. (Modeled after Klark Teknik DN360)
- VINTAGE ROOM stands out head and shoulders over other competing reverberation strategies in the way it models sound propagation in air and room resonances. Invented in the early '80s, the role model delivered authentic room character from an algorithmic reverb long before convolution-based processing was available. It is an ideal reverb for mixes or sub-groups, as it adds space to complex signals, which is highly desirable in classical music and broadcasting environments. (Inspired by Quantec QRS*)
- PLATE REVERB emulates the characteristics of a plate reverb chamber with control over the damping pad, modulation depth and speed, and crossover. PLATE REVERB will give your tracks the sound heard on countless hit records since the late 1950's. (Inspired by Lexicon PCM70*)
- The 3-TAP DELAY in the M32 LIVE records the input signal and then echoes it back after a user-definable period of time and number of repeats. What makes the stereo and triple delay useful and outstanding is the linked tap-timing and musical choice of echo patterns. Use the 3-TAP DELAY to fatten up vocals and instruments, or to add an enhanced spatial element to any performance.
- The HALL REVERB effect provides a broad spectrum of reverberation possibilities, from small room to large, or even cavernous proportions. When softly mixed with the original signal, Hall Reverb can be used to create a warm, more natural sound. (Inspired by Lexicon 480L*)
- This handy dynamic FLANGER & DELAY duo blends the "whoosh" of soaring jet planes with classic Delay, and can be adjusted from mild to wild. This combination effect only takes up one FX slot. (Inspired by Lexicon PCM70*)
- WAVE DESIGNER is a powerful tool for adjusting signal transients and dynamics such as attack and sustain. Use it to make a snare drum really "crack" in the mix or level out volume inconsistencies of slap bass tracks. (Inspired by SPL Transient Designer*)
- The DE-ESSER is a "must-have" tool for reducing the amount of sibilance in vocal mics while adeptly preserving the natural voice timbre of a performance. Use it to enhance the smoothness of the upper mid to high frequencies in vocals as well as drum overheads and strings, etc. (Inspired by SPL 1239*)
- Based on the legendary EMT250, the VINTAGE REVERB delivers a shimmering, bright reverb that won't overpower your live or recorded tracks. Use the VINTAGE REVERB to sweeten vocals and snare drums without sacrificing clarity. (Inspired by EMT250 Plate Reverb*)
- Occupying only one FX slot, the CHORUS & CHAMBER effect combines the shimmer and doubling characteristics of a studio-grade Chorus with the sweet sound of a traditional Chamber reverb. (Inspired by Lexicon PCM70*)
You Are Connected
Each M32 LIVE comes loaded with all of the connectivity, I/O and functionality you need, right out of the box - but it doesn't end there. Onboard USB 2.0 connectivity delivers a full 32 x 32 channels of audio and MIDI to your DAW. Integrated multi-channel digital audio interfaces connect to remote stage boxes and/or the P16 Personal Monitor System. Native Ethernet control enables remote operation by computer, iPad or iPhone over a wired or wireless network, across the room - or across the planet!
Dual AES50 network ports featuring Klark Teknik SuperMAC technology support up to 96 inputs and 96 outputs over shielded (STP) CAT5 cable, allowing remote stage boxes and sharing signals among several connected M32 LIVEs and other Midas, Klark Teknik and AES50-equipped products.
On-board ULTRANET provides a 16-channel digital mix direct to P16 Personal Monitor Mixers, without added hardware, cost or latency.
Ethernet, USB and MIDI are all standard features on M32 LIVE.