Equipment that supports the new AES 42 standard can process the output signals of Solution-D microphones directly. In all other cases, the DMI-2 digital microphone interface
is used. The DMI-2 is a separate, two-channel
device which converts the AES 42 data format supplied by the microphone
into an AES/EBU
signal. An eight-channel
version is under development.
The DMI-2 is operated via the Neumann RCS remote control software, which is installed on a desktop or laptop computer. The computer is connected to the DMI-2 via a USB
port and a USB
to RS 485 interface
converter. If a large number of microphones is used, several DMI-2s can be cascaded. In this case, each digital microphone interface
can be addressed individually.
In addition to a word clock
input and output, the DMI-2 also has an internal word clock
generator. If no master word clock
signal (e.g. from a mixing console
) is present at the input, the DMI-2 internal word clock
is used automatically to synchronize the two microphone channels
, and the signal is switched to the word clock
External commands such as "On Air" (red light) can be controlled via a 9-pin user port.Specifications:
- 2 channels, Inputs: XLR3F, AES 42; Outputs: XLR3M, AES/EBU, 24 bit
- Control bus: RS485 via RJ 45 jack. Second RJ 45 jack for cascading purposes (up to 4 DMI devices today, 16 devices in future). Connection to the computer's USB port via Neumann USB485 interface converter (included).
- User Port: 9-pin sub-D, 3 functions per channel
- Synchronization: AES 42 - Mode 2 (PLL system using an external Word Clock and remote controlling the VCXO in the microphone, default mode), AES 42 - Mode 1, (asynchronous, needs a sample rate converter (SRC) at the receiver side).
- Word clock input: BNC, 75 ohms.
- Word clock output: BNC, 75 ohms, automatically set to the internal word clock master when no external word clock received. Selectable internal sampling rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz.
- External Word clock: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
- or AES 11 format.
- Indicators: Data Valid (AES 42) and Sync Locked (Mode 2) for each channel, Power On and Ext. Word Clock.
- Power supply: 90-240 V, 50/60 Hz.
- Storage of the last microphone settings and reloading to the microphones after power on automatically without the need of the computer/RCS.