Everything you need. Nothing you don't.
Ableton Live software is a powerful, flexible environment for creating, performing, and producing music. This unique software demands an equally unique control instrument. Akai Professional and Ableton are proud to present the APC20 compact professional Ableton Live performance controller. The APC20 transforms your Ableton Live experience from constructing tracks on a computer to fluid, musical creation. The second model in the APC series, the APC20 offers a smaller footprint than the APC40, enabling musicians to more easily create a personalized setup with multiple APCs, effects controllers, and other devices.
The APC20 is the link between human and computer that perfectly balances analytical parameter control with creative expression. Whether you are an electronic music artist and Live is your canvas, a DJ using Live to mix or remix tracks, or a more traditional musician using Live on stage or in the studio, you will find the APC20 to the intuitive, powerful instrument that directly links your inspiration with Ableton Live.
Because Akai Professional and Ableton designed the APC20 specifically for Ableton Live, you don't need to map its controls to talk to the software. Just connect your laptop to the APC20 via USB and you're ready to make magic. The APC20 is plug and play, so you don't need to install drivers. First-time setup is literally three steps: load the included Ableton Live software, plug in and power up your APC20, and select the APC20 as Ableton Live's controller. That's it. No mapping, no setup, no hassles.
The APC20 comes pre-mapped for instant use with Ableton Live software, so if you're new to it, you'll find using the APC20 to be easy to get around on. And if you're an experienced Live user, you'll be happy to note that you can custom-map every single button and fader on the APC20 to completely customize the controls for the way you like to work.
The APC20 talks directly to Ableton Live, and Live talks directly to the APC20. This bidirectional communication makes the APC20 an advanced controller in that it can receive feedback from the software and display it on its Clip Launch matrix. The Clip Matrix gives you an instant view of clip status: what's loaded, what's playing, and what's being recorded. Each state displays in the grid in a different color so you can get a quick picture of clip state. You can shift your clip focus and get an overview of the clips you have loaded for your set.
Ableton selected Akai Professional as its partner in developing the APC20 because of Akai Pro's leadership position in great-feeling controllers that are rock solid, rugged, and precise. From the legendary MPC series that changed the way music is made to the industry-standard MPD and MPK controllers, Akai Professional is revered by musicians, DJs, and producers everywhere for creating the feel that powers their creativity. The APC20 is built with a rugged, metal chassis and slip-proof rubber detailing. There's no flimsy plastic here. Faders are solid and precise for pinpoint performance.
The APC20 comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC Edition software, which is fully functional for performance and production. Owners of the full edition of Ableton Live 8.1.3 or higher can also work seamlessly with the APC20. Live 8.1.3 has full support for the APC20.
The APC20 also enables special clip-status views and feedback that only the APC20's matrix can display. The matrix is not limited to only 40 clips: you can scroll and shift, enabling you to access, control, and perform with an unlimited number of cells.
The APC20 has nine faders, which you can assign to volume control, pan, sends, and a choice of three user-mapped modes. You have even more control power with special controls including Tap Tempo, Tempo Nudge, record enables, and solo/cues. A new User Mode enables you to use the Clip Launch buttons to control instruments and the Drum Rack.
Designed in partnership with Ableton, the APC20 is the ideal controller for performers who like to perform in a small amount of space for maximum portability. It's also perfect for players who want to combine multiple controllers in their setup thanks to its small footprint. Don't settle for cheap, plastic imitations. From the company whose name is synonymous with the word production, the APC20 is the serious choice.
- Designed in partnership with Ableton, mapped for Live, and fully customizable
- Clip Launch matrix with multicolor lighting displays current clip status
- No mapping required; every button and fader is pre-mapped
- Bidirectional hardware/software communication for visual feedback on APC20
- Solid, professional feel with rugged, metal chassis and premium controls
- Comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC Edition software
- Works with full editions of Ableton Live 8.1.3 or higher
- USB plug-and-play connection for Mac and PC
- Power Supply: DV 12V 2.0A pin-positive, auto-switching (100-240V, 50-60Hz)
- Communication: USB-MIDI with proprietary hardware/software handshake
- Inputs: USB
- Weight: 3.8 lbs
- Dimensions: 29.5cm x 33.3cm x 5.7cm (WxDxH)
- 11.61" x 13.11" x 2.24"
- (measured to the highest point, which is the CUE knob)
- APC20 Ableton performance controller
- USB cable
- Power supply
- Software CD
- Quick start guide
- Mac: G4 / Intel recommended, OS X 10.3.9 / 10.4+ recommended
- PC: 1.5GHz, Windows XP or Vista, Windows-compatible sound card / ASIO driver support recommended
- 512MB RAM / 1GB recommended, QuickTime 6.5 or higher, DVD-ROM drive, USB port
- Works with included Ableton Live APC Edition and the full version of Ableton Live 8.1.3 or higher