Zoom F8N MultiTrack Field Recorder
PA SKU # ZOO F8N MFR # ZF8N UPC # 884354019037
- Featured Item!
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
Order Now! We'll Ship It Fast! This item is currently out of stock. Most out of stock orders ship within just a few days (excluding weekends and holidays). We'll keep you up to date the whole way.
- Product Highlights
- 8 x XLR/TRS Combo Jacks
- Up to 192 kHz/ 24-Bit PCM Recording
- Record Up to 10 Tracks Simultaneously
- Dual Channel Recordings at Two Levels
- Works with Zoom Microphone Capsules
- 2 x SDXC Card Slots
- Built-In Slate Microphone
- 8x AA Batteries, External AC Adapter
- Supports SMPTE Timecode I/O
- +24V/+48V Phantom Power
Some Make Sound - Others Make HistoryLouder, Cleaner, and Clearer Monitoring
Volume, clarity, and immersion are equally important for proper monitoring in the field. That's why updates have been made to the F8n's headphone processing to maximize all three. A digital gain boost has been added to minimize ambient bleed, which can cause comb filtering resulting in poor audio quality.
Signals can be freely routed to the left and/or right headphone channels, pre- or post-fader. Addi-tionally, the headphone output can be switched to mono. You also can set headphone alert tones for low battery, recording start/stop, or recording errors.
We Stacked the Deck
Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters: The F8n is equipped with Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters that provide overload protection no matter what comes your way. By adding a 1 millisecond delay, the limiters "look ahead" antic-ipating clipping before it's recorded. Limiting is applied to each of the 8 channels simultaneously at full resolution, with 10 to 20 dB of headroom to ensure pristine audio on every take.
Mic Preamps: The F8n features a super-low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB). Mic/line levels are selectable for both XLR and TRS inputs.
Zoom AutoMix: Meet your new assistant sound editor, the Zoom AutoMix. This smart software auto-matically adjusts the levels of your mix to reduce the amount of ambient sound, so you can focus on what really matters - capturing a well-balanced mix.
State-Of-The-Art Time Code: The F8n utilizes a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) that generates time code at 0.2 ppm accuracy, enabling rock-solid syncing of audio and video. When powered off, the F8n will maintain a 0.2 ppm accuracy. Time code I/O is provided on BNC connectors.
Simultaneous-Recording: The F8n can record to an SD card and your computer via USB simultaneously. And you can easily back up your files and stream live while recording.
Safeguard Your Recordings
Dual SD Card Recording: Record simultaneously on two SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, up to 512 GB each, allowing for redun-dant recording.
Three Power Sources: A 4-pin Hirose connector allows the use of external 9-18 volt DC battery packs. Power can also be provided by 8 AA batteries or the AD-19 AC adapter included with your device. The F8n can switch power sources at a user-defined voltage level for uninterrupted recording.
Dual-Channel Recording: The F8n's dual-channel recording mode allows you to create safety tracks by doubling up the recordings from inputs 1-4 onto tracks 5-8. Tracks can be controlled independently, allowing you to customize each safety track with different gain, limiting, and more.
Pre-Record: The pre-record function allows you to capture up to 6 seconds of audio before you hit the REC-ORD button.
Tour the F8n
Display: The F8n's 2.4-inch full-color backlit display with monochromatic mode makes field work equally easy in low or direct lighting.
Slate Switch: The F8n has a built-in slate mic for recording comments as well as the abil-ity to output a variable frequency tone signal.
Transport Controls: The control panel features stop, search forward and search back-ward keys as well as illuminated play/pause and record buttons.
Input controls: Each input features a built-in preamp with a dedicated gain control knob and a 6-segment LED level meter.
USB Port: A USB port enables firmware updates, file transfer, and allows the F8n to be used as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface operating at sample rates up to 96 kHz.
Inputs: The F8n provides 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo con-nectors, allowing you to plug in any microphone, wireless pack, or line level device. Any input can also be used as a camera return.
SD Card Slot: Record on two SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, up to 512 GB each, simultaneous-ly, allowing you to instantly backup or split recordings.
Headphone Jack: The unit's 1/4" headphone jack also comes with dedicated volume con-trol.
Main Outputs: The F8n provides four outputs: two Main Outs (on balanced TA3 mini-XLR jacks) for connection to external mixers and processing devices; and two Sub Outs (on a single unbalanced 1/8" stereo mini-jack) for connection to a camera. The F8n also pro-vides a selectable +4 dBu output.
DC Power In: The F8n can be powered by a 9-18V external DC power supply.
Time Code In/Out: Timecode can be generated internally or transmitted from an external timecode generator.
10-Pin Mic Connector: Our proprietary 10-pin connector enables the use of interchange-able Zoom mic capsules, with optional extension cables that allow for remote positioning.
iOS Wireless Control
The Zoom F8 Control App for iOS provides extensive wireless remote control of the F8n from your iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth LE protocol. Functions include mixer pan and fader levels as well transport controls. It also monitors input levels, current time code, and battery status. When you're finished, you can even enter file and metadata info directly from your iOS device.
Sold separately, the Zoom F-Control is the control surface that no serious rig is complete with-out. With 60mm faders and clear channel indicators, the F-Control's simple, ergonomic design gives you complete authority over your workflow. Pair your F-Control with the Zoom F8 Control App to turn your iPhone or iPad into a large-scale meter monitor for easy reading.
File formats, resolution, and sample rates: The F8n records in BWF-compatible WAV formats up to 24-bit resolution and at sample rates up to 192 kHz. When recording files in MP3, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320 kbps.
Metadata: Full Metadata entry is available including track name, scene names, notes, and more. Use your smartphone or tablet to enter your data via the Zoom F8 Control App for iOS or input it directly on the F8n.
Processing: The F8n features flexible signal routing from all inputs to all outputs. In addition to advanced hy-brid limiters, the F8n also provides high-pass filtering to reduce the sound of wind and other noise, plus phase inversion and Mid-Side decoding. Input and output delays are also available.
Ambisonics: Capable of recording 360-audio, the F8n is a must-have for engineers of the future. The F8n's Ambisonics mode features A to B decoding, gain and settings linking, and a customized metering screen.
The VR Dream Team: For the ultimate VR rig, pair the Zoom F8n with a Sennheiser AMBEO mic. Built for mobility and backed by two quality names, this combination lets you capture premium 360-audio anywhere
- 8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
- 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Compact and lightweight aluminum chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (wi-thout batteries)
- High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain and less than -127 dBu EIN
- Switchable +4dB inputs with mic/line options for both XLR and TRS
- Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
- Zoom AutoMix software
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm when on and up to 0.2 ppm when powered off) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
- Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AA's and DC battery pack not included)
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
- Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables re-mote positioning
- Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus 1/8" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Dedicated headphone output (100 mW) with front panel volume control
- 2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochromatic mode
- Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
- Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry
- Recording media: Dual SD card slots support: 16MB-2GB SD cards
4GB-32GB SDHC cards
64GB-512GB SDXC cards
- Inputs: INPUT 1-8Connectors: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)Input source set to Mic: Input gain: +10 - +75 dB
Input impedance: 2 kΩ
Maximum input level: +14 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)
Phantom power: +24/+48V 10mA maximum for each channelInput source set to Line: Input gain: -10 - +55 dB
Input impedance: 2.6 kΩ
Maximum input level: +24 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)Equivalent input noise: -127 dBu or less (A-weighted, +75dB input gain, 150Ω input)
Frequency characteristics: 10 Hz - 80 kHz +0.5dB/-1dB (192kHz sam-pling rate)
A/D dynamic range: 120 dB typ (-60dBFS input, A-weighted)
Crosstalk: -90 dB or less (between adjacent channels, 1kHz)
MIC IN: ZOOM mic capsule input (use disables Inputs 1/2)
SLATE MIC: Built-in mic for voice mem-os can be assigned to tracks freely
- Outputs: MAIN OUT 1/2Connectors: TA3 connectors, balanced output (2: hot)
Output impedance: 150 Ω or less
Reference output level: -10 dBV (normal output level), +4 dBu (Output Level: Line), 1 kHz, 600Ω load
Maximum output level: +10 dBV (normal output level), +24 dBu (Output Level: Line), 1 kHz, 600Ω loadSUB OUT 1/2Connector: 3.5mm stereo mini unbal-anced output jack
Output impedance: 100 Ω or less
Reference output level: -10 dBV (normal output level), -40 dBV (mic output level), 1 kHz, 10kΩ load
Maximum output level: +10 dBV (normal output level), -20 dBV (mic output level), 1 kHz, 10kΩ loadHEADPHONEConnector: 1/4" unbalanced stereo output jack
Output impedance: 15 Ω or less
Maximum output level: 100mW + 100mW (32Ω load)D/A dynamic range: 106 dB typ (-60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Recording formats: When WAV selectedSupported formats: 44.1/47.952/48/48.048/88.2/96/192kHz, 16/24-bit, mono/stereo//2-10ch poly, BWF and iXML
Maximum simultaneous recording tracks: 10 (8 inputs + stereo mix)
8 (at 192kHz sampling rate)When MP3 selectedSupported formats: 128/192/320kbps, 44.1/48kHz, ID3v1 tags
Maximum simultaneous recording tracks: 2
- Recording time: Using a 32GB card30: 51: 00 (48kHz/24-bit stereo WAV)
7: 42: 00 (192kHz/24-bit stereo WAV)
- Timecode: Connector: BNC
Modes: Off, Int Free Run, Int Record Run, Int RTC Run, Ext, Ext Auto Rec (audio clock can be synchronized to time-code)
Frame rates: 23.976ND, 24ND, 25ND, 29.97ND, 29.97D, 30ND, 30D
Precision: ±0.2 ppm
Supported input levels: 0.2 - 5.0 Vpp
Input impedance: 4.6 kΩ
Output level: 3.3 Vpp
Output impedance: 50 Ω or less
- Power supplies: Batteries: 8 AA
AC adapter: AD-19 DC12V 2A (center plus)
External DC power supply: HIROSE HR10A-7R-4S 4-pin connector (1 pin: -, 4 pin: +), 9-18V
Power consumption: 15 W
- Continuous recording time: When recording 2 channels at 48kHz/16-bit to SD1 with MAIN/SUB OUT OFF, TIME CODE OFF, LED/LCD Brightness 5, 32Ω head-phones, PHANTOM OFFAlkaline batteries: 6 hours or more
NiMH (2450mAh): 8.5 hours or more
Lithium batteries: 12 hours or moreWhen recording 8 channels at 48kHz/24-bit to SD1 with MAIN/SUB OUT OFF, TIME CODE OFF, LED/LCD Brightness 5, 32Ω head-phones, PHANTOM OFFAlkaline batteries: 3.5 hours or more
NiMH (2450mAh): 6 hours or more
Lithium batteries: 8 hours or moreWhen recording 8 channels at 192kHz/24-bit to SD1 with MAIN/SUB OUT ON, TIME CODE Int Free Run, LED/LCD Brightness 60, 32Ω headphones, PHANTOM 48VAlkaline batteries: 1 hour or more
NiMH (2450mAh): 2 hours or more
Lithium batteries: 3 hours or more
- Display: 2.4" full-color LCD: 320x240
- USB: USB: Mass storage operationClass: USB 2.0 High SpeedUSB: Multi Track audio interface operation (driver required for Windows, not required for Mac)Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
Specifications: 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz sampling rate, 16/24-bit bit rate, 8 in/4 outUSB: Stereo Mix audio interface operation (no driver required)Class: USB 2.0 Full Speed
Specifications: 44.1/48kHz sampling rate, 16-bit bit rate, 2 in/2 outAudio Out From USB: multitrack operation (driver required for Windows, not required for Mac)Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
Specifications: 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate, 16/24-bit bit rate, 10 in/4 out
Note: iOS device audio interface operation supported (stereo mode only)
- External dimensions: Main unit: 7.0 in. (W) x 5.5 in. (D) x 2.1 in. (H) 178.2 mm (W) x 140.3 mm (D) x 54.3 mm (H)
- Weight (main unit only): 2.2 pounds (1000 g)
- Zoom AD-19 12V AC Adapter
- Cubase LE and WaveLab LE download codes
- Operation manual
Write Your Own Review
More from Zoom