Out of stock
AEA A440 Phantom Powered Ribbon Microphone
PA SKU # AEA A440 MFR # A440
- Lifetime Tech Support
- Best Seller!
- Ask a Question
Order Now! We'll Ship It Fast! This item is currently out of stock. Most out of stock orders ship within just a few days (excluding weekends and holidays). We'll keep you up to date the whole way.
- Product Highlights
- Ultra-Quiet Ribbon Microphone
- 18dB More Gain Than R44
- Extraordinary Build Quality
- Custom German Transformer
- Quietest Ribbon Mic Ever Made
- Made in the USA
Phantom Powered, Ultra-Quiet Version of the Iconic R44 Ribbon MicrophoneThe Rolls Royce of Ribbon Mics
The A440 is the quietest high-performance ribbon microphone ever produced. It combines all of the warmth and beauty of the classic 44 with a signal so hot, you'll have to experience it to believe it. As with the rest of AEA's Big Ribbon microphones, it needs very little EQ, takes it nicely when you want it, and is free of resonances in the audible range. The A440 is unlike any other microphone on the market today, and no professional studio should be without one.
A Glance under the Hood
Like its passive cousin, the R44CX, the A440 is based on the RCA 44BX, but is phantom powered and uses a custom-made German transformer. The active electronics are inspired by AEA's acclaimed TRP JFET preamp technology, providing a consistent sound immune to preamp loading. The A440 uses the same RCA NOS (new-old stock) ribbon element, only 1.8 microns thick, which is hand-cut from material originally manufactured for RCA. It features a museum-quality shell with a durable bronze investment cast yoke. Umber paint and a red medallion on the transformer case, and a bright nickel finish with polished brass accents are the icing on the cake for this piece of beauty.
Because of its exceptionally low noise floor and its classic sound characteristics, the A440 has quickly become a favorite of even the most critical ears. Orchestral sampling experts EastWest Studios now favor their pair of A440s over their vintage RCA 44s due to the advantages in noise performance. Musicians with very high sound-quality demands and the desire for a long-lasting investment for their microphone locker gravitate towards the A440. Legendary guitarists Peter Frampton & Neil Young, or Irish alternative rockers The Script, all share their love for this stunning microphone.
- Phantom-powered Big Ribbon with 18 dB more gain than the R44
- Extraordinary build quality
- Custom German toroidal transformer
- Quietest ribbon microphone ever made
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 15 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 136+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 21 mV/Pa (-33.5 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Self Noise: 9 dB(A)
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0 kΩ or greater
- Powering: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable
- Off Axis Response
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, -35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, -35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Transducer element
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 mu (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.185" (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35" (59.7 mm)
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, stand adapter, manual
- Optional: Any length cable, inquire for price and delivery. Matched stereo pair
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labor, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
- Weight with Cable: 7 lb 9 oz (3.43 kg) in storage case with cable
- Height: 12.25" (31.1 cm)
- Width: 4.62" (11.7 cm)
- Depth: 3.25" (8.3 cm)
Write Your Own Review
More from AEA