The Mackie BIG KNOB is a compact, moderately priced, tabletop control room speaker selector and router unit, that effectively replaces the monitoring section of a mixing board in the often console-less professional and project DAW recording studio. The versatility of this unit invites possible use as an audio control center for a more elaborate home stereo or Home Theater system, as well.
The BIG KNOB actually has one, in the form of a large, robust, high precision volume control knob that services a generous array of selector switches and monitoring options. Speaking of volume, this is a very high output piece of gear, with lots of headroom.
The BIG KNOB switches are all equipped with activity LED indicators, and the built-in Talkback mic, dual Headphone outputs, and main Studio Outs all provide an independent volume control knob. The rear panel Monitor and Studio Out connector sections, in addition to each of the source inputs, are equipped with individual trim controls, as well.
All function switches, selector switches, and connectors are very clearly labeled and ruggedly housed; the emphasis in the design of the BIG KNOB is on intuitive setup, simplified navigation, and clean sound. The refreshingly sleek and modest appearance, ergonomically and logically presented, indicates a sense of real world understanding and experience on the part of Mackie's engineering team.
- Tabletop control room monitoring source and speaker selector
- Large, robust, high-precision volume control knob
- Monitor A, B and C selector switches with LED's and connectors for 3 separate pairs of powered studio monitors, subwoofers or power amplifiers
- Dedicated trim controls for all Monitor output connector sections
- Dual headphone outputs, each with independent volume control; dedicated headphone mix bus and separate headphone amp outputs
- 4 Input Source Select switches with LED's
- Mute, Dim and Mono monitoring switches with LED's
- Built-in omnidirectional condenser talkback mic
- Talkback control section with separate level control and individual 2-track and headphone or studio routing selector switches
- Phono preamp with trim control for direct connection to turntables
- Dedicated DAW mix input with trim control
- Trim controls for all Source input connector sections
- Stereo Studio Outs with dedicated switch and volume control, separate trim control for Studio Out connector section
- Balanced or unbalanced +4/-10 operation for all connectors; balanced/unbalanced selector switches for 2-Track A and B, DAW Mix and DAW Phones Mix input sections, 2-Track A and B, DAW Output, and Phones Amp output sections
- Dual Voltage power supply
- Input Impedance:
47 kOhms/220 pF
- Output Impedances:
- Sensitivity (0 VU): 80 dB SPL nominal(Talkback Microphone)
- Maximum Input Level:
Line Inputs, Balanced: +28 dBu
Line Inputs, Unbalanced: +14 dBu
RIAA Input @ 1 kHz, Nominal Gain: 79 mV
- Maximum Output Level:
Line Outputs, Balanced: +22 dBu
Line Outputs, Unbalanced: +8 dBu
Unity Gain: -86 dBu max., with DAW, 2-Track A, B Assigned*
Monitor A, B, and C Outputs: -90 dBu typical*
Studio Output: -90 dBu typical*
DAW, 2-Track A and B Outputs: - 90 dBu typical*
Phono Input: -71 dBu max.(all outputs)**
Equivalent Input Noise: 0.89 uV, -119 dBu max.
*20 kHz Bandwidth, +4 dB level setting, 150 Ohm source
**Nominal 41.8 dB Gain @ 1 kHz, inputs shorted
- THD + N:
>0.015%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ +4 dBu(Line Level, Inputs to Outputs, Unity Gain)
0.015%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ +4 dBu(RIAA Input, Nominal Gain)
Adjacent Inputs: 90 dB @ 1 kHz
Left to Right/Right to Left: 70 dB @ 1 kHz
Muted/Level Off: 90 dB @ 1 kHz
- Input Connections:
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone DAW Phones Mix In, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS(L/Mono, R) 2-Track A In, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS(L/Mono, R) 2-Track B In, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS(L/Mono, R) DAW Mix In, Bal/Unbal
2 x RCA Phono(L, R) RIAA Phono In
1 x 1/4" TS Phone Talkback Footswitch In
- Output Connectors:
6 x 1/4" TRS Phone Monitor A,B,C Out, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone 2-Track A Out, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone 2-Track B Out, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone DAW Out, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone Phones Amp Out, Bal/Unbal
2 x 1/4" TRS Phone Studio Out, Bal/Unbal
- Speaker Output: 1/4" TRS Phone, +4 dB/-10dB Switchable(Powered Speakers Only)
- Speaker Switching: 3 x Selector Switches with LED's
-24 dB, -8 dB, -4 dB, 0 dB, +8 dB, OL
- Talkback Mic: Yes, Internal Omnidirectional Electret Condenser
- Talkback Mic Input: No
- Headphone Output: Yes, x2
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 3.2 x 5.9" (343 x 89 x 150mm)
- Weight: 3.5 lb (1.6 kg)
1-year all inclusive, nontransferable
|| Big Knob
| MFR Part Number
|| BIG KNOB
| Product Category
|| Studio Monitor Volume Controllers, Volume Controls & Attenuators
| Unit of Measure
| Shipping Weight
|| 9.00 lbs.
| Page Views
Connect with Performance Audio
Why Choose Performance Audio?
35+ Years in the Business
Performance Audio isn't new to Pro Audio & Video. We have been servicing the needs of professionals for nearly 40 years! We have the expertise to help you get the job done right. The first time.
Real World Convenience
Performance Audio has built lasting relationships with the brands you love! We have decades of experience working with our suppliers. We are equipped to get you what you need, when you need it. When you need it.
Staff with Know-How
Performance Audio has long believed that experience and knowledge are vital to building relationships with our customers. We focus on getting, and keeping, a staff who know and love the Pro Audio & Video world. People like you.
Prices That Don't Suck
Performance Audio is one of the largest suppliers of professional audio & video gear in the Mountain West. We have one of the largest inventories in the industry. That means we can save you money! The right price.
© 2017 Performance Audio, LLC. All rights reserved.
All brand, company or product names contained may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. Prices, specifications, and images are subject to change without notice. Not responsible for typographical or illustrative errors. All prices listed are in US dollars and do not include shipping and/or sales tax, when applicable.